Tuesday, July 18, 2006

waxing poetic

6/28/2006, 18.20
Hanko, Finland

I'm just sittin' on the dock of the bay, wastin' time.

I am coming back to this charming little town! With a population of around 10,000 this place is so welcoming; there are bed & breakfasts & rooms to let everywhere! Everybody smiles at you, & everyone with whom I've spoken has been friendly & as helpful as they possibly could. Did I mention it's beautiful?

From the map at the train station I was able to locate two ports. I picked one & walked across town to it, & it turned out to be the industrial shipping center. Oops. On the plus side right next to it I found an enormous, killer beach that had, you ready for this, ONE PERSON on it! I swear, this beach stretched practically to the horizon! Also helpful was the fact that I could see the Superfast Ferry I would be taking to Germany in dock due east, so I knew where I was headed. Kind of.

I left my beach & ended up walking for about 20 minutes along an empty train track through the prettiest trees EVER! Eventually I found the ticket office, hung out in the sun until it opened at 17.30, & got my cabin booked all the way to Rostock, Germany. I would write about the Baltic Sea, which I'm looking at as I sit here, but I just can't imagine how I even would begin to describe it. Besides wet. Instead, I'll leave you with this thought: do you suppose being closer to the North Pole has anything to do with the sun being so goddamned bright here?

No comments:

Post a Comment