Tuesday, July 18, 2006

up for interpretation

6/4/2006
Trieste, Italy to Venezia, Italy

I am letting go! I am letting it all go! At the moment anyway. It was good to chat with Chris alone this morning. He is going to help me worry less & I am going to help him relax more. This bodes well for things to come.

Trieste is a splendid place, though we did not see very much of it. Definitely off the beaten path, it's a sizable city not at all targeted to tourists...which I enjoy. It's a port town on the Adriatic, & looks to be pretty industrial. Beautiful architecture, but that's not exactly new.

We checked into our hotel (with three beds!) at around 12.00, then went for a walk while they prepared our room. We bought some groceries, walked to the port & sat eating bread & fruit at the water's edge for 30 minutes or so while watching a great fleet of sailboats advance painstakingly slowly from the horizon. It was über calming.

Back at the hotel we each took a lengthy shower (no joke, Chris was in there for at LEAST seven minutes!) & passed out. I awoke at 20.00ish to Rosanne whispering "pizza" about three inches from my face. Strange way to come back to reality, especially when in the throes of a sex dream. Couldn't I have had ten minutes more? Chris already was up & roaming the room, ready to continue on into the evening.

It was just before dusk when we finally hit the streets on a primal hunt for food. Once again everything was already closed, a recurring phenomenon that fast was becoming a black mark on my "so far so good" impression of this country. Eventually we ran into what seemed to be the "social" corridor of the city with cafés, music & Italians drinking & toasting each other as far as the eye could see (which was about maybe twenty yards at most before hitting the side of a building). We wound up watching the sun set over the port while gorging ourselves with pizza & pasta, drinking beer & wine & topping off our bellies with profiteroles & tiramisu. Did I mention we were in Italy?

Now we are en route back to Venezia, this time with hostel reservations awaiting our arrival. The next two days will be spent there. Doing what I haven't a clue, but I'm hoping some part of it involves a beach.

And now I've gotta run, it's time to join Rosanne in an interpretive dance to Celine Dion...

No comments:

Post a Comment